A self-propelled mower is easier to use as the mower pushes itself. They work perfectly even on uneven terrain.
To pick the best self propelled lawn mower you have to consider certain factors like engine power, cutting width, wheels, deck material etc.
Gas mowers are stronger but very noisy. Electric mowers are very quiet, more modern but less stronger.
There are so many options available so it can be confusing for you to select good ones.
So, I did the research for you keeping the above key facts in mind to help you pick the right tool that is perfect for you and your needs. Let’s see which one is more suitable for you.
- 1 7 Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Reviews
- 2 Buyer’s Guide of Self Propelled Lawn Mower
7 Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Reviews
#1. Poulan Pro Pr675y22rhp, 22 In
- The cutting width is a whopping 22 inches and this makes mowing really easier, faster and much less cumbersome than using a mower with less cutting width.
- The handles of the mower, as well as the cutting height of the grass can be adjusted for comfort and convenience.
- The rear wheels are large, coming in at 12 inches and allow for easy movement of the mower in very many different terrains.
- It features a recoil cord-pull plug instead of the more modern and technologically advanced start key.
- The engine tends to smoke up sometimes when it is in use.
#2. Honda Hrx217k5vka 187cc Gas 21 In. 4-In-1
- The four in one option allows to either shred, mulch, bag or disperse of mown grass cuttings and offers so much more in terms of versatility than other mowers.
- It is easy to start and easy to use.
- The grass catcher is big and does not need to be emptied every so often.
- It is user-friendly, ergonomic and can be easily stored in addition to being really reliable.
- For a lawn mower of its size, the gas tank is disappointingly small and needs to be filled every time.
- Even though the speeds can be adjusted, the highest speed is still relatively small compared to other lawn mowers.
#3. Troy-Bilt Tb330 163cc 21-Inch 3-In-1
- The drive control is amenable and can be adjusted from the lowest speed to highest speed with two speeds in between for comfort and convenience, and to save time during mowing.
- It has three in one capability functions that mulch, disperse of mown grass and keep grass in a grass catcher.
- It has an ergonomic handle that allows for convenience and additional ease.
- As far as self propelled lawn mower reviews go, this is quite possibly one of the most boring self-propelled lawn mowers as it does not have any outstanding featues that put it above and beyond others.
- The plastic levers powering the rear wheel drive are not durable and tend to break and fall off.
#4. Lawn-Boy 17732 21-Inch 6.5 Gross
- It handles well, especially on hills and rocky terrains.
- It features a grass catcher and can mulch with ease.
- Even though it has a grass catcher, the bag is severely undersized.
- The mechanism for adjusting the front height of the lawn mower is shoddy and weak.
#5. Honda 21” 3-In-1 Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- It features an electric key start that obviates the need for a pull cord. This makes it really easy for users with back issues to use and operate this mower.
- The battery holds the charge for about three weeks and does not need to be pulled to start.
- It is really easy to assemble, put together and use; and it requires no prior technical expertise or know-how.
- The grass catcher feature also offers the dual capacity to be used in mulching.
- The rear wheels often lock up when the user is being pulled backwards, and this severely limits the backward cutting ability of the mower.
- The mower tends to gather speed too quickly and this raises the front end of the mower especially when the grass catcher becomes more than half full.
#6. Honda Hrr216k9vka 3-In-1
This self-propelled lawn mower is a work of art, embodied in a technological marvel. It features double micro cut blades, a rear wheel drive whose speed can be varied to suit the user’s need and requirements; a strong, heavy-duty steel deck that is 12-gauged; six different heights for comfort and convenience and a 12-inch cutting width.
- It delivers clean, precise and powerful cuts that do not mess with the overall health of your lawn, garden or yard.
- The grass catcher can serve the dual purpose of being used in mulching. In addition, mown grass can just as easily be discharged by the sides.
- It features a rear wheel that is firm, secure and balanced for easy manoeuvrability in tough and difficult terrains.
- It is some expensive, made much more so by the tons of features it packs.
- It can be noisy on occasion, and in spite of the fact that it has an auto-choke, it can be rough starting up.
#7. Husqvarna Hu800awdh, 22 In. 190cc
This self-propelled lawn mower is great for working uphill and in stony difficult and rough ground. It has a powerful motor delivery system. It is built to be sturdy, heavy-duty and long lasting. It also features a really great 4WD self propulsion technology and a 22-inch cutting width.
- The cutting lengths of the grass to be mown can be fully adjusted to suit the type of grass and personal preferences.
- It is easy to use, easy to push, easy to manoeuver; and has an ergonomic grip for when working for long periods of time.
- The speed of mowing can be controlled; and the rear-wheel drive is sturdy to allow for better traction.
- For a lawn mower of its size, it requires constant maintenance; and that can become very cumbersome very fast.
- It is also quite heavy and bulky and a little tedious in moving around.
- The engine is noisy and constitutes pollution.
Buyer’s Guide of Self Propelled Lawn Mower
The only thing the best self propelled lawn mower requires is for the user to squeeze a bar (more technically referred to as a bail) on the handle of the mower.
This squeezing action of the bail on the handle of the self-propelled lawn mower engages the lawn mower and causes it to start. After that, the only other human interference required by the lawn mower is just a gentle grip on the bar to control the direction in which the self-propelled lawn mower moves.
This likens the self-propelled lawn mower to function as simply as a motorbike, but without the motor.
When looking to buy a self-propelled lawn mower, here are a few things to consider:
Front Wheel or Rear?
It is true that in almost all top rated self propelled lawn mowers, rear wheel drive mowers are much more expensive than front wheel drives. In order for a mower to be driven forward, the wheels have to be secured firmly on the ground.
When the front of the mower is being lifted in order to turn the mower around, the front wheels are practically useless. Rear wheels, on the other hand, are grounded all the time, giving more traction, friction and making the mower more easily adjusted.
Where extra power is needed to push the mower uphill or on rough terrain, a rear wheel drive mower is preferable.
Variable Speed or Fixed?
When the speed of a good self-propelled lawn mower can be adjusted, it will allow for going slower or faster, depending on the condition of the mower, and the physical condition of the operator or user.
When a mower’s speed cannot be adjusted, it may go too slowly to make any real difference or go too quickly to mow grasses that it should. Every single time, you are better off with a mower, the speed of which can be adjusted.
Pull Cord or Electric Start?
There are basically two options as regarding starting a self-propelled lawn mower: a pull cord or an electric start key. Pull cords are the typical, recoil way of starting an engine by pulling on a cord which turns the engine to start the mower.
An electric start on the other hand does not require any pulling. It will start at the simple turn of a key or the push of a button. It is best to go for an electric start key motor to avoid unnecessary stress and rigour that may be obtained when pulling on a recoil pull-cord.
Grass Catcher or Not?
A good self-propelled lawn mower comes with grass catchers and some others do not. If you need your mown-off grass to help in the mulching of your garden, yard or lawn; then your best bet is to get a lawn mower that has a grass catcher or a catching basket rather than one that does not have one.
In most top rated self propelled lawn mower, the engine automatically turns off every time the handle or the bail is let go off. A system of blade override leaves the engine idling but stops the blade from spinning.
This enables faster mowing so that the engine life is extended and the engine does not have to overcome friction to start up every other minute.
Unless the yard is straight and meticulously planned out, chances are that there is a flower bed or a tree or a dead stump to go around when mowing. There is a turning action required to avoid these obstacles, but most self-propelled mowers are designed to mow on a straight path.
Swivel wheels are a smart and intelligent way of overcoming this little hitch. Swivel wheels help your lawn mower have greater maneuverability and prevent the wheels of the mower from falling off.
The Height of the Wheel
You already know that there are lots of variation of self propelled lawn mower. That’s why you will get more options to choose the right one for your large yard.
There is some lawn mower is available which wheels are different in the size. That’s why the height depends on it. Most of the people do not notice this before buying.
After buying and using it, they realize how much important the size of the wheel of this machine. Small height of the wheels is good enough to cut the short grass.
On the other hand, if your yard is very rough and has long grass, then you need that lawn mower which has the large wheel. So, we suggest that before buying one consider the wheel height.
You also need to check the adjustment system of the height for the wheel. It will give you an extra advantage to complete your task in the yard. To find the suitable one you can check this fact.
Buying a new one is not the ultimate solution for your yard. If you ignore some facts, then you will regret. If you search specific way, then you will find that every self propelled lawn mower able to cut the grass in a different pattern.
It also depends on the model of the mower. Even some mower is multifunctional to cut the grass. These machines are designed to cut in various types of the pattern at once.
If you still in a dilemma then we can say that these machines can do bagging, mulching and mowing at the same time. These mowers are very useful because of this multiuse.
You can easily use these types of mower for a wide variety of lawn. There are some other mower available able which plays two in one role like mulch and discharges the grass.
Before buying it specify your preference. Now you can understand why the cutting pattern is important for buying this mower.
Frequently Asked Questions on Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers
After the Reviews of best self propelled lawn mower, my mower of choice is the Honda Hrr216k9vka 3-In-1. It is the best, and we absolutely recommend it for everyone.
Its great features, technological advancement, and body make it one of the best. It will not fit in the group of cheap self-propelled mowers because it is definitely not cheap. But if you are willing to overlook the price, it is one of the very best of top rated self propelled lawn mowers.